Find the latest

Noynoy Inclined to Run in 2010

Noynoy inclined to run in 2010
Written by Butch Fernandez / Reporter

SEN. Benigno Aquino III inched closer to formally accepting a draft as Liberal Party standard-bearer in the 2010 presidential elections even as he admitted setting a series of meetings with an unidentified “core group” of advisers to shape a program of government in case he finally decides to run.

“I think I am very, very close [to a decision]. I am just finishing some of the commitments that I committed to with my sisters and other groups,” Aquino told reporters in a brief interview at the Senate session hall on Tuesday after undergoing a retreat with nuns in Mindanao over the weekend.

Aquino, who was elected to serve in the Senate until 2013, admitted that his meeting with the “core group” would help him finalize assignments and tasking for various committees that would need to be formed should a presidential campaign gets under way. The slightly balding senator jokingly hinted that the agenda might also discuss redoing his image, “including my haircut.”

Shortly after LP Sen. Mar Roxas decided last week to pass on “the torch of leadership” to Aquino by withdrawing his presidential plans, Aquino said he will be announcing his decision to accept or reject the offer at the end of the 40-day period of mourning for his late mother, former President Corazon Aquino who died on August 1. The 40th day falls today, September 9.

Pressed by reporters to give a hint on his decision, Aquino replied: “I am really sorry; I want to announce it but I am still fulfilling some of the commitments [I made] with my sisters and various groups.”

“I want to make it as easy for all those who are supporting me, especially my family whom I know have been as stressed as I have been…or even more,” he added.

Aquino hinted, however, that he would very likely tap Senator Roxas as his running mate once he decides to take up the challenge to run for president in 2010.

“In our discussions I did broach the idea that if my discernment says to accept this, I really would be very comfortable with Senator Roxas [as running mate].”

“In fact,” he added, “[in] the platform that we have in common, he is the one who has been articulating it, such as going back to zero-budgeting.”
***
I'll support your presidential candidacy Noynoy.
More of 2010 Election

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Headlines